Hello! I’m the ottoman at Red Sofa Literary. I’m looking for books that entertain, educate, and engage readers. Man, that’s a lot of Es.
I am currently closed to queries until June 1, 2019.
My current wishlist
Adult: Romance. I never met a trope I didn’t like.
Fantasy: I am always looking for a great ghost story (adult or MG) and witches (Practical Magic-esque).
Middle-grade with a great voice — especially funny and/or spooky.
Nonfiction — I’m looking for fun, quirky, fascinating topics with strong commercial appeal and a great platform. Specifically looking for how-to books and craft books. Please have a book proposal finished before querying.
I am not looking to add YA, Sci-fi, mysteries, horror, memoir, or picture books to my list at this time.
To query, please use the contact form on this website. If I would like to see more, I will request the first three chapters of your manuscript or a finished book proposal.
Query and Submission Tips
- Write tight. Keep the query short and to the point.
- Salutation (Dear Stacey is fine).
- If you’ve met me at a conference, read an article you’d like to reference, admire one of my clients’ work and think your project is along those lines, fantastic! Mention it, but I’m interested in your story, so let’s jump to it and get to the juicy part of the query.
- Introduce your story efficiently. Who are the main characters, what’s their struggle, and how does it end?
- If querying nonfiction, why is this topic a go-getter? Who is your audience? Why are you the best person to write this book right now?
- Tell me a bit about yourself: writing organizations you belong to, publications you’ve written for, or publishing history. No writing portfolio? No problem, the story is what will stick with me. 🙂
- Wrap it up with a high five and we’re done (for now).
- Always mention genre and word count.
- Please don’t include a synopsis, attachments, pages pasted into the body, stories about your dog (okay, maybe one), or links to your YouTube channel or your partial on your website.
- If a partial is requested, please format your file like so: last name/TITLE/partial (or full). I load these onto my e-reader and “3chap.docx” gets lost in the shuffle. Don’t be shuffled.
Per agency policy, unrequested attachments, links leading to pages outside of the query, and queries outside of my representative categories may be discarded unread.