Hello! I’m the ottoman at Red Sofa Literary. I’m looking for books that entertain, educate, and engage readers. Man, that’s a lot of Es.
I am hitting the road this summer with conferences and taking care of my authors so will be closed to queries until September 1, 2018. Any queries received during my closed period will be deleted unread. Agents Laura Zats, Erik Hane, and Kelly Van Sant at Red Sofa Literary are open to queries. If you have been waiting to hear back from me regarding a submission or query, I’ll be in touch soon! =]
My current wishlist:
Middle-grade with a great voice — especially funny and/or spooky.
MG/YA/Adult: Nonfiction — looking for fun, quirky, fascinating topics with commercial appeal.
Special requests: I’d love to see projects on—
- Spiritualism: MG or adult, nonfiction or fiction. (Fox sisters, Davenport Brothers, Cora L. V. Scott.)
- Ouija: Adult, nonfiction.
- MG nonfiction series on women with moxie: Agatha Christie, Beatrix Potter, Mary Shelley, Ida Lupino.
Unless specified above, I am not looking for: YA, fantasy, sci-fi, short stories, thrillers, memoirs, picture books, or screenplays.
To query, please use the contact form on this website. If I would like to see more, I will request the first three chapters of your manuscript or a finished book proposal.
Query and Submission Tips
- Write tight. Keep the query short and to the point.
- Salutation (Dear Stacey is fine).
- If you’ve met me at a conference, read an article you’d like to reference, admire one of my clients’ work and think your project is along those lines, fantastic! Mention it, but I’m interested in your story, so let’s jump to it and get to the juicy part of the query.
- Introduce your story efficiently. Who are the main characters, what’s their struggle, and how does it end (I hate cliffhangers)?
- If querying nonfiction, why is this topic a go-getter? Who is your audience? Why are you the best person to write this book right now? Do you have a proposal ready (hint: have one ready before you query)?
- Tell me a bit about yourself: writing organizations you belong to, publications you’ve written for, or publishing history.
- Wrap it up with a high five and we’re done (for now).
- Please don’t include a synopsis, attachments, pages pasted into the body, stories about your dog (okay, maybe one), or links to your YouTube channel or your partial on your website.
- If a partial is requested, please format your file like so: last name/TITLE/partial (or full). I load these onto my e-reader and “3chap.docx” gets lost in the shuffle. Don’t be shuffled.
Per agency policy, unrequested attachments, links leading to pages outside of the query, and queries outside of my representative categories may be discarded unread.